Identifying a Roof Leak
The first step to repairing a roof leak or determining whether or not a roof needs replaced is to identify the source of the roof leak. The process of determining where a roof is leaking is no small task. Because rainwater or other forms of precipitation can penetrate a roof in one location before showing up in another spot on the ceiling, determining the leak location is challenging.
Common Sources of Roof Leaks
- Roof Flashing – thin waterproof material is used to prevent water from entering a structure at a joint. This is the most common area of roof leaks.
- Skylights – Take note if water is accumulating at low points
- Shingle Damage – Older roofs are less durable than today’s roofs because of the quality of material used to make them. Older roofs need to be monitored for shingle damage
- Plumbing, pipes, and vents – Holes drilled for installing pipes, vents and ducts can cause holes leading to roof leaks
- Condensation in your attic – look for mold or mildew to identify attic condensation
Dummies.com, a Wiley Brand offers a step by step process to identify the source of a roof leak.
- Go into your attic on a rainy day. Bring a flashlight. If you do not want to wait for a rainy day you can use a standard garden hose as the source of water.
- Water will reflect the light to identify the source of the water. Mark the source.
- Have an assistant tap the source of the water while you are on the roof.
- Pinpoint the location of the leak and use roofing cement or replace shingles as needed.
It is important to remember that if you are not experienced or trained in roofing it can be a dangerous task to climb a roof. Although difficult, identifying the source of the roof leak is a necessary first step in roof repair. If there is any doubt about your safety in climbing a roof, it is best left to a professional.
Who to Contact
Your safety should always come first. If you feel that your roofing task is too challenging to take on yourself, and are in need of a professional to locate the source of your roof leak and make the necessary repairs, Crown Roofing is the place to call. We handle all types of roofing systems from tile, shingle, slate and metal. There is no job that is too small and no task that is too big. Crown Roofing has 5 offices across South Florida. We are conveniently located in Fort Myers/Naples, Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando and the Pompano Beach. Call us today for a free estimate.