Whether you are looking to lower your monthly electric bill or simply be more environmentally conscience, installing solar panels on your roof may be a viable option. The amount of sunlight your home gets is an obvious consideration however there are several other items to consider when deciding on whether or not to install solar panels on your roof.
Things to Consider
Cost/Savings/Amount of Power Generated
- If your electric bill is at least $150 monthly you can begin saving immediately
- Savings will usually begin immediately if you lease or make payments on solar panel installation whereas if you purchase the panels up front it will take longer to begin realizing savings
- The amount of power generated depends on many factors including trees, roof angle, size of roof, amount of sunlight, temperature, and latitude
Types of Panels
- There are many manufacturers of solar panels and you should thoroughly compare each manufacturer’s panels
- The size of your roof is important in determining which panels are appropriate as larger panels are made for larger roofs and smaller panels are better for roofs with less space.
- Only trained professionals should install solar panels – thoroughly research the help you hire to make sure they are qualified and reputable
- Many roofers will install solar panels only on composite shingle roofs; if your roof is made of a different material such as metal, Spanish tiles or wood shingles you may have to look harder for a qualified roofer
- Be sure prior to installation you have the proper building permits; a reputable roofer should be able to assist you
In order to identify whether you would save money by installing solar panels you must get an estimate on the cost of the project. The cost of solar panels over the last 3-4 years has significantly declined and there are many tax credits to consider. Every home is different and costs for home solar panels can vary. Get a free estimate on your home’s roofing needs by scheduling an appointment with Crown Roofing. Whether you are interested in solar panels, tile, or shingles, the roofing experts at Crown Roofing will assess your home’s roof and discuss the best options for you. Call us today for a free estimate.