Types of Roofs in Florida
Florida features a unique climate that presents many challenges to the roofing industry. The constant sun, rain, wind, and tropical storms make the weather especially hard on roofing materials. Florida homeowners should be aware of several types of roofs and the differences between them to help choose the best roofing option.
Types of Roofs
• One of the most popular types of roofs; made from fiberglass or asphalt; affordable
• Warranties on shingles can vary from a 25- to a 50-year shingle.
• Choosing the right roofing contractor for your shingle project can mean a difference between getting 5-10 years out of your shingle roof, and getting the full life expectancy
Clay and Concrete Tile
• Popular Florida roof because of its longevity and easy maintenance; Resistant to insects and rotting
• May require extra support because of its weight; Fragile if walked on
• Expensive; Issues with the material breaking, curling, or becoming discolored
• Warranties on tiles can range from 50-75 years
• Usually made of steel; can resemble other types of roofs; durable and maintenance free
• Popular choice for both residential and commercial roofing applications
• Costs can vary significantly based on which metal roof is best for your particular project needs.
Single Ply Roofing Systems (Flat – Low Slope Roofing)
• Can be installed in both residential and commercial roofing projects
• Most commonly available in highly reflective (SRI) white. Can reflect up to 77% of the sun’s rays
• The light colors tend to show dirt which can cause flat roofs to lose reflection; Cleaning maintenance required
The Importance of the Right Roof
Deciding on the best type of roof is an important aspect of home ownership. According to HowStuffWorks.com’s Home & Garden section, a roof is the first barrier to the hot Florida sun. A quality roof should be releasing rather than absorbing the sun’s rays. Additionally, choosing a light-colored roof color can drastically save on your monthly electric bill. Former United States Energy Secretary Stephen Chu estimated that painting all roofs and roads light colors could reduce electricity costs by up to 15%. Much in the same way that black leather attracts the sun, a light-colored roof will reflect the sun’s rays keeping your home cooler.
Your Roofing Contractors
Choosing your type of roofing material is a big decision to make. Luckily the roofing specialists at Crown Roofing are here to help you with this decision. We handle all types of roofing systems including tile, shingle, metal and flat low slope roofing. There is no job that is too small and no task that is too big. Crown Roofing has offices in Central, South and Southwest Florida. Call us today for a free estimate.